Hot Cross Buns
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, sugar, butter, vanilla, salt, nutmeg and 3 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in the currants, raisins and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into 30 balls. Place on greased baking sheets. Cut a cross on top of each roll with a sharp knife. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat water and egg yolk; brush over rolls. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire racks. For icing, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth; drizzle over rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 173 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 16, 2013
These were light and delicious - and the currents were a nice touch.
Mar 23, 2008
I had actually never had Hot Cross Buns before, but my husband has asked for them often. I don't care for raisins, but I made them just with currants and they were absolutely WONDERFUL! We'll have them again and again!