Hot Cross Buns with Citrus Icing
With their tender texture and pretty frosted crosses, these Easter buns are both tasty and attractive. Dolores Skrout of Summerhill, Pennsylvania adds a little orange juice to the frosting for a delicate citrusy flavor.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 4 teaspoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, cinnamon and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in raisins and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 18 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place in two 9-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray. Using a sharp knife, cut a cross on top of each roll. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg yolk and water; brush over buns. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine icing ingredients; pipe crosses onto rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 207 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Mar 28, 2015
This is my go-to recipe each Easter. Sometimes I substitute currants for the raisins. The orange in the glaze is just the right touch. It wouldn't be Easter without them!
Mar 30, 2010
I make these every Easter...they are moist and delicious