Hot Crab Spread
After my mother and sister described the hot crab sandwiches they had eaten at a San Francisco restaurant, I developed this recipe. It's become a family favorite, especially during vacations to the Oregon coast, where we can catch fresh crabs.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 8 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- Assorted crackers
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker; add mayonnaise. Stir in cheese. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in crab; cover and cook 1 hour longer or until heated through. Serve spread warm with crackers.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 79 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 117mg sodium, 0 carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 10, 2011
Do a very similar one, and it's drop dead DE-lusush! (Spelling intended.)
May 19, 2011
I would love to make this recipe, but 4 cans of crabmeat around here would cost $20.00! ($5 a can).