Hot Cocoa Souffle Recipe
- 5 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons plus 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Separate eggs; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat a 2-qt. souffle dish with cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with 4 teaspoons sugar; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the cocoa, flour, salt and remaining sugar. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Stir in butter. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 3. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Add vanilla; cool slightly.
- 4. In another large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into chocolate mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined.
- 5. Transfer to prepared dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until the top is puffed and center appears set. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving: 272 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 188mg cholesterol, 209mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Hot Cocoa Souffle
"Anyone know how to bake this in individual ramekins?"
"That much eggs"
"Yes, I'm certain smaller versions can be made, and other recipes have called for whole milk. I HAD to give this a star rating or I wasn't able to leave a review. That's why I gave it only three. When I try it, I will give it the appropriate star rating."
"Can you make little ones, like 6?"
"I would imagine by using whole milk, the soufflé would taste more rich, and have mare calories and cholesterol than the recipe using fat-free milk. I don't have fat-free milk in the house, so when I make this recipe, I will be using whole mile"
"Wonder if this could be made with regular milk instead of the fat-free, or if the recipe will not work properly?"
"Haven't tried this one yet but it looks so good will save the recipe."