Hot Chocolate Souffle
You need to plan your meal around this souffle—since it must be served immediately when it's taken from the oven—but believe me, it's worth it!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar
- Begin preparing about 2 hours before serving: In a 2-qt. saucepan, combine flour and 1/4 cup sugar; slowly whisk in milk until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate until melted. Rapidly beat in egg yolks, all at once, until well mixed. Refrigerate until lukewarm, stirring occasionally. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar; beat until dissolved and stiff peaks form. Gently fold in chocolate mixture, one-third at a time, and vanilla until blended. Pour into a buttered and sugared 2-1/2-qt. souffle dish or round baking dish. With the back of a spoon, run a groove about 1-1/2-in. deep all around top, about 1-1/4-in. from edge of dish.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted under "top hat" comes out clean. Remove from the oven; dust with confectioners' sugar and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 182 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 166mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Hot Chocolate Souffle in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.