Hot Cheese Dunk
Here's a fun and budget-friendly fondue, made with lots of ingredients you have in your pantry. It's a great dipper for veggies, pretzels and all kinds of crackers. —Sharon Mensing, Greenfield, Iowa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Assorted vegetables or bread cubes
- In a small bowl, combine milk powder and water; set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in flour and bouillon until blended. Add the pepper sauce and reserved milk.
- Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheeses until melted. Serve warm with vegetables or bread.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 176 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 307mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Hot Cheese Dunk in Taste of Home April/May 2004