- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT (for each serving):
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the ice cream, cinnamon, nutmeg and extract. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze overnight. Makes 3-1/2 cups mix.
- To prepare hot drink: Dissolve 3-4 tablespoons of mix in boiling water; stir well. Yield: 14-18 servings.
Reviews forHot Buttered Rum Mix
"We really enjoyed this recipe! I thought it was easy to put together, the temperature was perfect, and the flavors were great. It's not the kind of thing I could drink often, but my husband and I enjoyed sharing the occasional glass on cool nights."
"I like the flavor of this recipe, but whenever I make it according to the directions it is at best lukewarm instead of hot. I find it necessary to let the mixture come to room temperature before mixing beverages or even warm the mixed beverage in the microwave before serving. Do not add rum or alcohol before microwaving; add that as the last step."
"This was honestly the first disgusting thing I have tried from Taste of Home. And I have made hundreds of their recipes! Far, far too sweet and it just was a big waste if ingredients."
"BonnieCP. I'm not a rum drinker, but I would guess that you would reduce the hot water amount by the amount of rum--according to your taste--you would want in your serving. So you would still have 3/4 cup hot liquid, but part would be rum. You would probably leave out the rum flavoring."
"I am writing with a question, rather than a review. This sounds fabulous, and want to use it for a dinner party we're having this week. There's no mention of rum, though! How much and when do you add the rum?Thanks much!"
"I made this for a Christmas party. It was great. A huge hit. Not a drop left. The nondrinkers just had it with hot water and still loved it. Almost every one asked for the recipe. I have tried several different ones and this one is the bes by far. I will be making it again for sure."
"This is a great recipe. I didn't change a thing. I am making it for Christmas gifts again this year along with a bottle of Captain Morgan's spiced rum. Everyone loved it last year."