Since my husband had fond childhood memories of this winter warmer-upper, I simmered up a batch. It's delicious, simple to prepare for drop-in guests and sets a soothing holiday mood.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 4 cinnamon sticks (4 inches), optional
- In a saucepan over medium heat, simmer water, lemon juice, sugar and lemon peel until sugar is dissolved. Pour into mugs; dot each with butter. Serve with a cinnamon stick if desired. Yield: 4 servings (about 1 cup each).
Originally published as Hot Buttered Lemonade in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1997, p23