Hot Bacon Cheese Spread
- 1 unsliced round loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1. Cut top fourth off loaf of bread; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell. Cube removed bread and set aside. Combine the remaining ingredients; spoon into bread bowl. Replace top. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until heated through. Serve with reserved bread cubes.
2 tablespoons: 263 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 433mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Mar 23, 2015
recipe indicates 2 cups 8 oz of Monterey Jack. One cup is 8 oz wouldn't it be 16 oz for 2 cups ? The recipe then says 1 cup 4 oz of parmesan, there again 4 oz is a half a cup, which is it?? measurements are in question.
Dec 31, 1969
A little too garlicy but everyone loved the bacon and cheese!
Dec 31, 1969
Who doesn't like bacon and cheese. This is great for all sorts of occasions. I do recommend using the best cheese possible, no shaker parmesan, I prefer shredded it from a block of imported. This helps with the grease that others have talked about. Also, the bread bowl help absorb some of the oils from the cheese. My family prefers to add more bacon and a touch of garlic powder. This is a fun one to play with.
Aug 26, 2013
Oh so good!!!! Made this and it was gobbled right up!
Apr 18, 2013
This is a treat!
Jan 1, 2013
I made this dip for a party and threw it away after trying it. It was awful and very greasy. I can't believe there have been so many good reviews on it.
Dec 9, 2012
I took this for Thanksgiving this year and it was the biggest hit of the day!
May 30, 2012
Great dip, but needed a 1-1/2 lb loaf. Instead of the hassle of cooking bacon, used 1 - 3oz/85g pkg bacon bits . Did not need to replace the top. Set on parchment lined baking sheet covered loosely w/ tin foil b/c the bread can burn easily. Served w/ crackers - it was delicious. Enough for 4 people.
Feb 23, 2012
Made this for a birthday party and everyone loved it and asked for the recipe. Will definitely make again!
Dec 27, 2011
Made this for Christmas for a party. It was given rave reviews! Delicious recipe!