Hot Apple Pineapple Cider
A hot beverage like this is savored here when chilly weather returns after summer. The clove-studded orange slices are so attractive. —SueGronholz
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 medium navel orange, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 50 to 60 whole cloves
- 6 cups apple cider or juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (4 inches)
- 2-1/4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Additional cinnamon sticks, optional
- Cut orange slices in half. Using a wooden toothpick, poke holes in the peel of each orange slice at 1/2-in. intervals. Insert a clove into each hole; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring apple juice and cinnamon stick to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the pineapple juice, honey, lemon juice, zest and nutmeg; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minute.
- Discard cinnamon stick. Garnish with orange slices. Serve warm with additional cinnamon sticks for stirrers if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 137 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 16mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Hot Apple Cider in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003