- 20 Oreo cookies
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 6 ounces white candy coating, chopped
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a food processor, cover and process cookies until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Cut cream cheese into three pieces; add to food processor. Cover and process until mixture forms a soft dough.
- Using 2 teaspoons of dough for each, form 26 ghost shapes. Place on a waxed paper-covered baking sheet.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating and shortening; stir until smooth. Slowly spoon over each ghost shape to cover. Use a toothpick to create eyes. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 26 servings.
Reviews forHosts of Ghosts
"Delicious,fun &easy just how the kids &i like it."
"I have made these for my annual halloween party twice now. They always get rave reviews and add so much to my buffet. I also doubled the recipe and only got around 34 ghosts out of a double batch. I even measured the dough with a measuring spoon this time to be sure I was only using 2 teas. Still great recipe and always a hit"
"Just made my fist batch and I have some very helpful tips:After you have made the dough, which will be sticky, (I added a few more cookies shells, not the cream) place it in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes so as not to be too sticky to shape. Then take out and shape. It helps if you take out only a bit at a time.Second, this makes it a whole lot easier, after you have shaped all the ghosts place them in the freezer to harden, (30 minutes or so). When they are ready remove only a few at a time to coat with white chocolate. I use a wooden skewer with a sharp point on one end. I insert the point into the bottom of the chocolate ghost, dip it into the chocolate, remove and hold it for a minute. Because the ghost has been frozen the white chocolate will harden quickly, which will make it easier to remove from the skewer w/o messing up the white chocolate. You can either remove with your clean fingers or use a small tool that has a circle on one end that is used for dipping things into chocolate. You run it up under the skewer and remove ghost to waxed paper or sprayed foil.Third, I use the point on the skewer to make the eyes and mouths, if wanted.Fourth, I then wipe clean with a stiff brush or basting brush."
"I didn't get the right number of ghosts either, so I made a double batch. Be sure to use a fairly low power on the microwave when melting the white chocolate, or it will scorch."
"I just made these with my son. We did not get 26 ghosts out of the recipe - it was more like 16. Not sure what happened."