Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
This potato dish gets its flavor from a combination of light sour cream and mayonnaise, chives and a little horseradish. We even serve it at holiday get-togethers. -Melissa Merkle of Elizabeth, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream, divided
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 2-1/4 teaspoons minced chives, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2-1/4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl; mash with 5 tablespoons sour cream, milk, 1-1/2 teaspoons chives and salt. Spoon into a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, horseradish, pepper and remaining sour cream. Spread over potato mixture. Sprinkle with remaining chives. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 101 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Mashed Potatoes with Horseradish Cream in Light & Tasty August/September 2005