Horn of Plenty Pie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pinch salt
- 1 unpricked pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a large saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Add the cranberries, raisins, walnuts and apple; cover and simmer for 15 minutes and berries have popped, stirring occasionally. Stir in butter and salt. Spoon into pie shell.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gradually beat in brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Pour over hot filling, sealing to edges of pastry.
- Bake at 325° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 419 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Sep 5, 2012
I love this pie. This is my most favorite. I had lost the recipe and have been searching under "cranberry" I didn't know it was called "Horn of Plenty". Finally after 2 years, I can have my pie again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.