A New Year's tradition, this mildly flavored rice dish is a great accompaniment to almost any meat entree. Beth Wall of Inman, South Carolina sent in the recipe. —Beth Wall, Inman, South Carolina
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2/3 cup canned black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup cooked rice
- In a small skillet, saute the peppers, onion, garlic powder and salt in butter for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the peas and rice; heat through, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 194 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 374mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Hoppin John in Cooking for 2 Winter 2007