Hoosier Crumb Cake
My husband and I live about 15 miles east of Indiana. I received this recipe about 40 years ago from a friend, but I'm not sure of its origins. Because of its name, I'm guessing it had its beginnings in the "Hoosier State".
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream and fresh mint, optional
- In a bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add flour; mix until blended. Set aside 1/2 cup for topping.
- To the remaining mixture, add the egg, buttermilk, vanilla, baking soda and salt; stir just until blended. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with the reserved flour mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Garnish with whipped cream and mint if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 222 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Hoosier Crumb Cake in Country August/September 1998
Mar 25, 2015
Hubby an I really enjoyed this cake. It turned out a little dry but the flavor was excellent. I will adjust the baking time next time I make it. Thanks for the recipe.
Mar 16, 2013
For Weight Watchers this recipe made as is is only 6 pts. Enjoy!