Honey Whole Wheat Loaves
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup wheat bran
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk powder, honey, wheat bran, wheat germ, flax, oil, salt, whole wheat flour and 3 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; shape into two loaves. Place in two 9x5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spay. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 139 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Aug 16, 2011
Jun 9, 2011
This is the PERFECT wheat bread. It is not crumbly like normal wheat bread and it is absolutely delicious. This will be my new default wheat bread recipe. It should win an award. Oh, I substituted butter for the oil. Not a huge change, just thought it would be better.
Apr 23, 2011
Wonderful whole wheat bread. Great texture and I love the fact that it's so nutritious!
Apr 19, 2011
This recipe was very easy to make and the results were great. My whole family liked it and it makes great toast! Will definitely be making this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.