Honey Whole Wheat Braids
This hearty, wholesome bread has a slightly sweet taste from honey. I grind my own whole wheat to use in this recipe.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- All-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the honey, oil, milk powder, salt, 3 cups whole wheat flour and remaining water; beat for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining whole wheat flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a surface dusted with all-purpose flour; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into six portions. Shape each into a 15-in. rope. Braid three ropes; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Place in two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter. Cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 107 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 122mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Honey Whole Wheat Braids in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.