When I was searching for a moist bread that wouldn't crumble when thinly sliced, a friend urged me to try her grandmother's age-old recipe. It slices perfectly.
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 8 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, honey, eggs, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into loaves. Place in three greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Honey White Loaves in Best of Country Breads 2000, p39
Reviews forHoney White Loaves
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 1, 2014
"This bread is fantastic! Perfect texture for sandwiches and toast, and I love the honey. Making another batch"
Reviewed Feb. 24, 2011
"Will have to give this a try......."