Honey-Wheat Sunflower Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- In a bowl, combine the water, 2 cups all-purpose or bread flour, yeast and sugar. Beat on low speed for 3 minutes. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. (Mixture will be spongy.)
- Stir in the whole wheat flour, oats, milk powder, butter, honey and salt; mix well. Stir in sunflower kernels and as much of the remaining all-purpose or bread flour as you can with a spoon. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Shape into a ball. Place in a greased bowl; turn once. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Punch down and divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into two loaves; place in two greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Cover with foil; bake 15 minutes longer. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 121 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
May 28, 2012
This bread is moist and delicious...I decreased the sunflowers seeds to 3/4 cup and added about a 1/4 cup wheat berries. I also reduced salt by 1 teaspoon. Will make again!
Aug 18, 2011
This was a very pleasant bread. It was fun to make and tastes great. Has texture and was great toasted. Thank you.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.