Honey Wheat Loaves
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes4 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 5 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 2/3 cup honey, divided
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 6 to 8 cups bread flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water and 1 tablespoon honey. Add the remaining water and honey, the oil, sugar, salt, whole wheat flour, wheat germ and 3 cups bread flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into four loaves. Place in 9x5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 108 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Feb 25, 2013
This may not be "Ekekiel" bread, but it is the best whole wheat bread recipe I have tried in the past 40 years - dense, sweet and moist. I did add more flour than what the recipe called for but living in Oregon, I have found that to be necessary with any bread recipe. I have made this recipe numerous times and given away many loaves and am always asked for the recipe. Excellent, excellent bread. However, for those of you who like their bread really really soft and feathery, this isn't the recipe for you.
Sep 17, 2012
I was looking for an "Ezekiel" bread recipe and knew when I saw this picture that it was not true Ezekiel bread, it is far to processed. Ezekiel bread is supposed to be a bread that is life sustaining and nutritionally complete A true recipe would call for the following ingredients:2 1/2 cups wheat berries1 1/2 cups spelt flour1/2 cup barley1/2 cup millet1/4 cup dry green lentils2 tablespoons dry great Northern beans2 tablespoons dry kidney beans2 tablespoons dried pinto beans4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)1 cup honey1/2 cup olive oil2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast2 tablespoons saltIngredients and measurements may vary some...but not this far off. This may be a delicious bread, but if someone were truly looking for an authentic Ezekiel Bread, this recipe is misleading.
Jan 30, 2012
I changed the sugar amount and did the following: 1/4 c sugar and 1/4 c Stevia. A friend of mine is diabetic and this worked out better for them than just the regular sugar. They LOVE the bread - far better than store bought Ezekial Bread!!!
Oct 1, 2011
I was wondering if this would be the same made with Ezekial flour?
Feb 24, 2011
This is the best wheat bread recipe I've ever tried. Reminds me of the wonderful "meaty" breads I've had in Germany. This is my go-to bread recipe!
Jan 29, 2011
I'm new to breadbaking, but found this recipe to be easy. I followed the instructions exactly and had four beautiful loaves that lasted us for weeks. Can't wait to make it again!
Jan 18, 2011
Sorry about that. i was thinking flax and it is wheat germ. donalee2
Jan 18, 2011
I would also like to make this bread but only 1 loaf. I have a bread machine and use it all the time. I have arthritis in my hands so i can't make bread by hand. actually the only difference in the bread i make is the flax. I have a recipe for flax bread that we really love. donalee2
Jan 17, 2011
I made this bread and it turned out great! My husband and I really enjoy this bread, I doubt that the bread machine would do it justice! Shirley
Oct 24, 2009
I've stopped buying bread at the store and instead make this recipe every couple weeks or so. Since it makes four loaves I store three loaves in the freezer until we're ready to eat them! My daughter and husband love this bread.