Honey-Wheat Cinnamon Swirl Bread
I have been serving this bread to our bed-and-breakfast guests for years. When I serve it as toast, I butter it and top it with a sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar. It's also good with a powdered sugar frosting. —Alice Shaffer, Gregory, South Dakota
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the whole wheat flour, milk, honey, eggs, butter, salt and 2 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each portion into an 18x9-in. rectangle. Combine the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to a wire rack to cool.
Originally published as Honey Wheat Cinnamon Swirl Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.