Honey Wheat Bread with Raisins
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes4 loaves (15 slices each)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups rye flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a blender, combine the oil, honey, raisins, 1/4 cup brown sugar and boiling water; cover and process until smooth. Cool to 120°-130°. In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup rye flour, milk powder, yeast, salt and remaining brown sugar. Add raisin mixture and warm water; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose and rye flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a surface floured with all-purpose flour; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into fourths. Shape into four round loaves. Sprinkle greased baking sheets with cornmeal; place loaves on prepared pans. Let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with butter; cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 66 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 24, 2011
Thank goodness for the internet! I recycled the Taste of Home that had this recipe. I am so glad to find it here! It is a wonderful bread the whole family loved, even our box turtle liked it!