Honey Sweet Potato Biscuits
I make at least one batch of these hearty biscuits each week. They pair perfectly with soups, stews and even breakfast entrees!—Mary Ellen Swanson, Rainsville, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, sweet potato, butter and honey; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 185 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 332mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Honey Sweet Potato Biscuits in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2009