Honey Sweet Potato Biscuits
I make at least one batch of these hearty biscuits each week. They pair perfectly with soups, stews and even breakfast entrees!—Mary Ellen Swanson, Rainsville, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, sweet potato, butter and honey; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 185 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 332mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Honey Sweet Potato Biscuits in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.