With just the right touch of honey, these golden rolls appear on many of my holiday tables. —Kathleen Taugher, Franklin, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg, separated
- 7-3/4 to 8-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cold water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the honey, oil, salt, eggs, egg yolk and 5 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide and form the dough into desired shapes (see below). Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Beat egg white and cold water; brush over the dough. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 107 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Honey Rolls in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003
Aug 9, 2012
These are delicious! One of my daughters asks at least once a week for me to make these; these are her favorite! I got 30 rolls instead of 36 but I tend to make things larger than most.