Honey-Roasted Figs in Puff Pastry
I created this recipe for a national honey contest and won third place! I was thrilled, and you will be, too, when you try these tasty but elegant desserts. —Kelly Williams, Forked River, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup spun or regular honey
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 8 fresh figs
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, brown sugar and vanilla. Divide into eight small mounds. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Split vanilla bean lengthwise. Using the tip of a sharp knife, scrape seeds from the center; place in a small microwave-safe bowl. Add honey and balsamic vinegar. Microwave, uncovered, at 80% power for 20 seconds, stir to mix.
- Slice each fig lengthwise into six slices; place on a parchment paper-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons honey sauce. Roast 8-10 minutes or until softened. Cool on pan on a wire rack.
- Unfold one sheet of puff pastry. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry just enough to smooth surface. Cut into four equal pieces; trim off corners to round. Cut in about half way from each rounded corner in towards center. Place a cream cheese mound in the center of each. Top with six slices cooled roasted figs; drizzle tops with 1/4 teaspoons honey sauce.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg with water; brush pastry with egg wash. Fold up 1 "petal" of dough wrapping around filling. Wrap second petal around first one from the opposite side lightly pressing ends to stick. Continue with other two petals. Tuck last two points under "rose" and cup in hand gently to round the base.
- Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat. Use excess corner trimmings to make leaves and place slightly under and next to roses. Brush outside of pastries with egg wash. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a cooling rack. Place roses on a serving plate; drizzle with re-warmed remaining honey sauce. Top with pistachios; serve warm.
Originally published as Honey-Roasted Balsamic-Vanilla Bean Fresh Fig Pastry Roses with Brie & Caramelized Honey-Pistachios in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016