Honey Potato Rolls
Made with mashed potatoes, these golden-brown goodies will complement just about any meal. I always included them as part of my holiday menu when my daughters were growing up, and now the girls carry on the tradition with their own families.—Myrna Wolfswinkel, Sheldon, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the mashed potatoes, butter, honey, eggs, salt and 2 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Stir in whole wheat flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 40 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Divide between two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown; brush with melted butter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 123 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Honey Potato Rolls in Country Woman Christmas 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.