Honey & Oat Yeast Bread
This recipe meets the three most important requirements I have for a recipe: easy, healthy, and kid approved! A woman my husband knows shared the directions for this moist, multi-grain bread with us.—Lisa Bedord, Power, Montana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 wedges)
- 1/2 cup water
- 6-1/2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small saucepan, bring water and 4-1/2 teaspoons butter just to a boil. In a small bowl, pour boiling liquid over oats. Add the applesauce, honey and salt. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oatmeal mixture, egg, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into an 8-in. round loaf on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Melt remaining butter; brush over loaf. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 wedge: 162 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Easy Honey Applesauce Oatmeal Bread in Church Supper 2013 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.