Honey-Oat Pan Rolls
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large egg
- In a large bowl, mix 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oats, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water, honey and 4 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add egg; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 24 balls. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; brush over rolls. Remove from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 103 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 126mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 7, 2017
Good rolls! Next time I think I will serve them with some honey butter.
Mar 3, 2017
Excellent roll recipe. I mixed the dough by hand and it worked out well. I par-baked half the rolls in an aluminum pan for freezing.
Nov 12, 2016
These rolls are hearty and delicious...my new go-to roll recipe! Made the dough in the bread machine using the ingredients as given and they turned out great.
Nov 23, 2015
I've been making these for years and they are always excellent. Will continue to make these for many years to come.
Jan 11, 2015
Made these for dinner last night and they were delicious! I followed the recipe exactly and they turned out great. The only thing I did differently was to add some honey to the butter before brushing the tops at the end. We're a small family of three, so the extras are in the freezer for another meal or two.
Nov 26, 2014
Awesome recipe, definately 5 starDefinately will be a family favorite!Even. 3 days after baking them they were delicious.
Nov 14, 2014
I just made these rolls. Very good. I plan on serving them at Thanksgiving. Will make again.
Nov 2, 2014
I like using oats and whole wheat flour in breads.
Sep 18, 2014
I made these back in 2007 and rated them, "excellent".
Mar 27, 2014
Confused by recipe. Chose because it said only a single rise yet the recipe states 2 rises?