Honey-Oat Casserole Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 wedges)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, pour boiling water over cereal. Add butter, honey and salt. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add eggs, oat mixture and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 55 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. round baking dish. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before removing from baking dish to a wire rack to cool. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts2 slices: 455 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 494mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Dec 5, 2013
Very good batter bread recipe. I baked it in my cast iron Dutch oven and served it with vegetable soup.
Jan 17, 2013
this is so delicious! Easy! Dosnyone know the pizza recipe from that same magazine? again so delicious!
May 7, 2012
Easy to make into 2 loaves of bread. I used a bread machine to make the dough and added about 4 1/2-5 cups of flour total to get the dough to the right consistency. Great for sandwich bread as it slices nicely and is soft.
May 9, 2010
very good and simple to make! i was pleased with the results!
Aug 29, 2009
This is my family's favorite bread recipe. I've made it in loaf pans but think it turns out better in the round baking dish.
Jun 8, 2009
I'm just wondering if this can be made in loaf pans?