Honey-Mustard Root Salad
"When I discovered I didn't have enough carrots for a shredded carrot salad, I improvised by adding parsnips, a leek and red pepper," writes Carolyn Smith, Kalamazoo, Michigan. "Since this dish travels well, I took it to a holiday dinner. Now, the first thing I hear when I walk in the door at family gatherings is, "Did you bring the salad?'"
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 large leek (white portion only), cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2-1/2 cups shredded parsnips (about 5 medium)
- 2-1/2 cups shredded carrot (about 5 medium)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute leek in 2 teaspoons oil for 4 minutes. Add the parsnips, carrots and red pepper; saute 5-7 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and remaining oil; shake well. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 101 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 271mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Honey-Mustard Root Salad in Light & Tasty December/January 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.