Honey Lemon Cookies
Pat Habiger of Spearville, Kansas brought home a blue ribbon from the state fair with these delightful cookies flavored with lemon peel and rolled in a wheat germ coating.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the honey, egg and lemon zest. Combine the flour, 1/4 cup wheat germ, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll dough into 1-in. balls; roll in remaining wheat germ. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 11-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in a resealable plastic bag.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 172 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Honey Lemon Cookies in Light & Tasty August/September 2002