Honey-Glazed Hens with Fruit Stuffing for Two
“My husband really likes Cornish hens, so I searched for a recipe I could use during the holidays that dressed them up. We love the fruit stuffing." — Denise Albers, Freeburg, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1/4 cup dried fruit bits
- 1/4 cup water
- Dash ground allspice
- CORNISH HENS:
- 2 Cornish game hen (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and celery; cook and stir until tender. Add the bread, fruit bits, water and allspice; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Loosely stuff hens with stuffing. Tuck wings under hens; tie drumsticks together. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Combine butter and honey; brush over hens.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if hens brown too quickly. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.