Honey-Citrus Glazed Turkey
A turkey breast is enough for us, but you can roast a whole bird if you're feeding a big group. Either way, this super-succulent turkey wins the day. —Peter Halferty, Corpus Christi, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 3 hours + standing
Makes16 servings (3 cups gravy)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 to 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended. Reserve half of the mixture for brushing over turkey; refrigerate until needed.
- Place turkey on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; drizzle remaining butter mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breasts with toothpicks. Sprinkle outside of turkey with salt and pepper.
- Add 1-1/2 cups broth to bottom of roasting pan. Roast turkey, uncovered, 30 minutes. Cover loosely with foil; roast 1-1/2 hours longer.
- Remove turkey from oven. Warm reserved butter mixture until butter is melted; brush over turkey. Continue roasting turkey, loosely covered, 1 to 1-3/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°.
- Remove turkey to a serving platter. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
- For gravy, pour drippings and loosened browned bits from bottom of roasting pan into a large measuring cup. Skim fat, reserving 1/4 cup. Add enough broth to the drippings to measure 3 cups.
- In a saucepan, mix reserved fat and flour until smooth; gradually whisk in broth mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with turkey.
Nutrition Facts7 ounces cooked turkey with 3 tablespoons gravy : 370 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 475mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 51g protein.
Originally published as CITRUS GLAZED TURKEY BREAST in Simple & Delicious October/November 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.