Honey Chocolate Pastries
These pretty pastries are worth the effort to make, especially for special occasions.
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 cups butter, melted, divided
- 34 sheets phyllo dough, (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1. Combine pecans, 1 cup chocolate chips, 3/4 cup sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- 2. Brush the bottom of a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with some of the melted butter. Unroll phyllo dough; cut stack into a 10-1/2x9-in. rectangle. Repeat with remaining phyllo. Discard scraps.
- 3. Line bottom of prepared pan with two sheets of phyllo dough (sheets will overlap slightly). Brush with butter. Repeat layers 7 times, brushing each with butter. (Keep dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel until ready to use to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with half of the nut mixture.
- 4. Top with another five layers of phyllo dough, again brushing with butter. Sprinkle remaining nut mixture on top.
- 5. Layer with remaining phyllo dough, each brushed with butter, in pan. Drizzle remaining butter on top. Cut all the way through pastry into 48 diamond or square shapes. Bake at 325° for 1 hour.
- 6. Meanwhile, combine orange juice, honey, lemon juice and remaining sugar in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Pour over pastry as soon as its removed from the oven. Cool.
- 7. In a small saucepan, combine water and remaining chocolate chips; stir over low heat until smooth. Drizzle over pastry.
1 each: 147 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC