Honey-Brined Turkey Breast
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 1-3/4 hours
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 quarts apple cider or juice, divided
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 large oven roasting bags
- 1 bone-in turkey breast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- For brine, place first four ingredients and 4 cups cider in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until salt is dissolved. Add rosemary; remove from heat. Stir in remaining cider; cool to room temperature.
- Place one roasting bag inside the other. Place turkey breast inside both bags; add brine. Seal bags, pressing out as much air as possible; turn to coat turkey. Place in a baking pan. Refrigerate 6-24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line bottom of a roasting pan with foil. Drain turkey, discarding brine. Place on a rack in prepared pan; pat dry.
- Roast turkey 30 minutes. Brush with oil; roast until a thermometer reads 170°, 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.) Remove from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked turkey (skin removed): 138 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 0 carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.
May 28, 2018
Delicious and moist turkey breast recipe. I'll make this one again.
Sep 7, 2016
Very happy with how moist this turned out. I didn't have apple cider so I used water, and I had it in the brine for 24 hrs. I was worried it would be too salty, but not at all. Super moist, and the beast was perfect size. Definitely going to do this one more often.
Jun 29, 2016
I used a turkey breast. Don't leave in brine longer than 12 hours.Delicious, moist turkey.
Dec 14, 2015
This is a must-try recipe! The use of an oven bag makes preparation and clean up a breeze. I did not use oven but instead did in crockpot for the afternoon. As a Taste of Home volunteer food editor I love using recipes that easily adapt to my family's needs. Try this recipe!
Mar 19, 2011
Delicious! I used this on a whole turkey first, then with a chicken a few weeks later with equally excellent results. I''ll never make another turkey without brining it again!
Mar 4, 2011
A bit of work, but was good. Turkey turned out moist.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.