Honey Bear French Toast
"According to my family, French toast is suitable for any meal," chuckles Priscilla Weaver of Hagerstown, Maryland. "We think this recipe is especially delicious." The CT kitchen staff heartily agreed! To make playful breakfast treats for hungry youngsters, our cooks simply cut the bread into bear shapes, added chocolate chips for eyes and drizzled warm honey on top.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 18 slices Texas toast bread or 1-inch-thick slices Italian bread
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 36 miniature chocolate chips
- Warm honey
- Using a 3-1/2-in. bear-shaped cookie cutter, cut bread into bear shapes. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, salt, milk and eggs until smooth. Dip both sides of bread into egg mixture.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Fry French toast for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Transfer to serving plates; insert chocolate chips for eyes. Drizzle with honey.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 489 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 725mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Honey Bear French Toast in Crafting Traditions September/October 1999