I grill everything—veggies, oxtail, tofu. This chicken is our favorite. I keep a ready supply of sauce and rub, so prep couldn't be easier. —Jerry Rosiek, Eugene, Oregon
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 chicken leg quarters
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- Pat chicken dry. Combine rub ingredients. Rub over chicken pieces; refrigerate, covered, in a shallow dish 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine sauce ingredients, adding cayenne if desired. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, to allow flavors to blend, 8-10 minutes.
- On an oiled grill rack, grill chicken, covered, over indirect medium heat, turning frequently, until a thermometer reads 165°, 35-45 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Brush chicken with sauce, reserving 1/2 cup. Cook, covered, until chicken pieces register 170°, 4-6 minutes. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Honey BBQ Chicken in Taste of Home September/October 2017