Honey Apricot Biscotti
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon anise extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 2/3 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites, honey and extract; set aside. In another bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center; add egg white mixture. Stir until moistened. Fold in apricots.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray; dust with flour. Divide the dough in half. On a prepared baking sheet, shape each portion 6 in. apart into a 12-in. x 2-in. rectangle.
- Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 1/2-in. slices.
- Place cut side down on baking sheets. Bake for 7 minutes; turn over and bake 7 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 61 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 30, 2011
I didn't have any anise extract so I used vanilla and added anise seed. Everybody loves them so I will make them the same way next time.
Apr 29, 2011
I don't like anise, so i substituted with almond extract instead. I found it a little strong in flavour so may try 1/4 tsp instead of half next time. Over all still a good recipe, and the kids enjoyed them as well.