Honey and Spice New England Apple Pie
If they're in season, use Honeycrisp apples. With the brown sugar and spices, they make the juiciest, most flavorful apple pie you have ever tasted! —Jannine Fisk, Malden, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 8 large Honeycrisp apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in the butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 40 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge. Whisk egg and water; brush over pastry.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle apples with lemon juice; toss to coat. Drizzle with honey and toss to coat. Combine the sugar, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice; toss with apple mixture. Transfer to crust and dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 50-60 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
Originally published as Honey and Spice New England Apple Pie in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.