Honey Almond Nougats
Add these tasty nougats to your cookie and candy platter at the holidays. They will disappear fast!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1 pound
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2/3 cup superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- Grease a large bowl with the butter; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, cornstarch and honey. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Cover and boil for 1 minute. Uncover; cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 286° (soft-crack stage).
- In a stand mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With mixer running on high speed, carefully pour hot sugar mixture in a slow, steady stream into the mixing bowl. Beat on high for 10 minutes or until mixture holds its shape and is lukewarm, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Fold in ground almonds and cinnamon. Transfer to prepared bowl; cool to room temperature. Shape into 1-in. balls; roll balls in chopped almonds. Store in an airtight container.