“I developed this subtle soup as a starter for a Southwest-style lunch. I serve it with cheese nachos and follow up with chicken or beef taco salad,” says Jessie Gunn Stephens of Sherman, Texas.
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup canned hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Crumble sausage into a small skillet. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until no longer pink; drain. In a small saucepan, toast cumin seeds over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Add coriander and cayenne; cook and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, hominy, jalapeno, pepper and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Stir in cilantro. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Hominy Sausage Soup in Cooking for 2 Spring 2006, p37
Reviews forHominy Sausage Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 19, 2008
"I used green chilies instead of jalapenoes and it was very yummy!"