Polenta can be found on the shelf in the Italian section of your local supermarket or in the refrigerated produce section. Store leftover polenta in the refrigerator. Cook leftover polenta slices in a skillet with olive oil for 1-2 minutes per side. Sprinkle with hot sauce and serve with scrambled eggs.
Recommended: 27 Recipes You Can Make In Your Instant Pot
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tubes (1 pound each) polenta, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Line a greased 13x9-in. baking dish with a single layer of polenta slices. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and red pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the picante sauce, beans, hominy, cilantro, cumin and chili powder; heat through.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese over polenta. Top with meat sauce and remaining cheese. Bake for 8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hominy Beef Polenta in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy Annual 2005, p20