Homestyle Baked Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 3 medium potatoes
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (white portion only)
- Additional parsley, cheese, green onions and crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- Scrub and pierce potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 8-12 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels.
- In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Stir in flour; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Gradually stir in broth. Add the parsley, garlic, basil, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Peel and cube potatoes; add to soup. Add bacon. Stir in cream; heat through (do not boil). Add cheese and green onions; stir just until cheese is melted. Garnish with additional parsley, cheese, onions and bacon if desired.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 369 calories, 32g fat (17g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 1136mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Jan 6, 2010
This recipe has far too much sodium. I have to restrict my sodium--so I will not be able to make this recipe.This is a very good recipe--I wish that I could make this, but I can't.
Jul 13, 2008
I think this is the orginal recipe. I think you have to look up "Makeover Baked Potato Soup" to get the one in the magazine.
Jun 21, 2008
This is not the same recipe that is on page 6 in the April/May 2008 issue. Again, I am finding VERY frustrating to find the recipes in the magazine online. Perhaps I need to navigate around the site more, but it was sooooooo easy before when I could just type in the name of the recipe in the search bar at the top and the recipe would show up.
Apr 16, 2008
I agree that it doesn't sound real healthy with the whipping cream and cheese. Try Fat-Free Half and Half and reduced fat cheese for less calories and fat and almost all the taste and Low Sodium Chicken Broth for less sodium. That is what I do!
Mar 26, 2008
The recipe sounds delicious, but how can it be considered "healthy" when it has 32 grams of fat?
Mar 4, 2008
Why is it.... I am a subscriber and have signed up to view these recipes yet when I click 'view this recipe now' I am told to sign up?????????????
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.