VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 quarts pasteurized whole milk
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt with live active cultures
- In a Dutch oven, heat milk over medium heat until a thermometer reads 200°, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. Remove from heat; let stand until a thermometer reads 112°-115°, stirring occasionally. (If desired, place pan in an ice-water bath for faster cooling.)
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 cup warm milk into yogurt until smooth; return all to pan, stirring gently. Transfer mixture to warm, clean jars, such as 1-qt. canning jars.
- Cover jars; place in oven. Turn on oven light to keep mixture warm, about 110°. Let stand, undisturbed, 6 to 24 hours or until yogurt is set, tilting jars gently to check. (Yogurt will become thicker and more tangy as it stands.)
- Refrigerate, covered, until cold. Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Yield: about 2 quarts
Originally published as Homemade Yogurt in How-To's Winter 2017