Homemade Whole Wheat Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sesame or poppy seeds, optional
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk, oil and molasses to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients. Add eggs; beat on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half; shape each portion into 12 balls. Place 1 in. apart into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Beat egg white and water until foamy; lightly brush over dough. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds if desired. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 189 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 19mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 23, 2013
This recipe's a winner, even though I can't seem to remember to brush on the egg white and water mix. :-) I slather some butter on top instead. I've made these twice and LOVE the hearty, wholesome flavor. Fresh out of the oven, they're to die for!
Dec 24, 2012
I did use honey instead of molasses and didn't even have enough yeast (double recipe, only used 3 packets) and they still turned out perfect.
Dec 24, 2012
These turned out just right, soft, slightly sweet and just the right texture for a beautiful wholesome and tasty roll. I can't wait to make them again! I even made a double recipe and will take 48 to my family for xmas tomorrow. Er, 47.