Homemade Whole Wheat Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sesame or poppy seeds, optional
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk, oil and molasses to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients. Add eggs; beat on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half; shape each portion into 12 balls. Place 1 in. apart into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Beat egg white and water until foamy; lightly brush over dough. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds if desired. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 189 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 19mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 23, 2013
This recipe's a winner, even though I can't seem to remember to brush on the egg white and water mix. :-) I slather some butter on top instead. I've made these twice and LOVE the hearty, wholesome flavor. Fresh out of the oven, they're to die for!
Dec 24, 2012
I did use honey instead of molasses and didn't even have enough yeast (double recipe, only used 3 packets) and they still turned out perfect.
Dec 24, 2012
These turned out just right, soft, slightly sweet and just the right texture for a beautiful wholesome and tasty roll. I can't wait to make them again! I even made a double recipe and will take 48 to my family for xmas tomorrow. Er, 47.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.