Homemade Whole Wheat Pasta
"The addition of whole-wheat flour to these buttery noodles pumps up the nutrition and fiber of this special side dish." Paula Young - Tiffin, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + standing Cook: 15 min.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 4 quarts water, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the flours and 2 teaspoons salt. Make a well in the center. Whisk the eggs, 1/2 cup water and oil; pour into well. Stir together, forming a dough. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Divide into fourths. Roll each portion into a 14x12-in. rectangle. Cut widthwise into 1/2-in. strips; cut strips into 6-in. lengths. Let noodles rest on a clean towel for at least 1 hour.
- In a Dutch oven, bring remaining water to a rapid boil. Add noodles; cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In the same pan, cook the butter over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Add the noodles, pepper and remaining salt; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 162 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 341mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Homemade Noodles in Healthy Cooking October/November 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.