Homemade White Bread Recipe
"SATURDAY in the Piepenbrink household was always baking day. My dad's mother would double the recipe twice and make 8 loaves to last a week!"
- 1 package (2 ounces) compressed yeast cake, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups warm water (80°-90°), divided
- 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/3 cup shortening, butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Melted butter or margarine
- 1. In a 4-qt. mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add remaining water and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth, about 100 strokes. Cover with plastic wrap for 6-24 hours. Add shortening and salt. By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Divide into 2 parts. On a lightly floured surface, roll or pat dough into an 11-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Place smooth side of dough down. Roll up tightly, starting from the short side. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place in greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Carefully brush breads with melted butter. Bake at 400° until golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice: 113 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Homemade White Bread
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC