Homemade White Bread
"SATURDAY in the Piepenbrink household was always baking day. My dad's mother would double the recipe twice and make 8 loaves to last a week!"
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 package (2 ounces) compressed yeast cake, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups warm water (80° to 90°), divided
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Melted butter
- In a 4-qt. bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add the butter, salt, remaining water and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide into 2 parts. Shape into loaves. Place in greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully brush tops with melted butter. Bake at 400° or until golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 113 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Homemade Bread in Reminisce Premiere 1991
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.