Homemade White Bread
"SATURDAY in the Piepenbrink household was always baking day. My dad's mother would double the recipe twice and make 8 loaves to last a week!"
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 package (2 ounces) compressed yeast cake, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups warm water (80° to 90°), divided
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Melted butter
- In a 4-qt. bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add the butter, salt, remaining water and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide into 2 parts. Shape into loaves. Place in greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully brush tops with melted butter. Bake at 400° or until golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 113 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Homemade Bread in Reminisce Premiere 1991