Homemade Vanilla Marshmallows Recipe
My husband Dale's grandmother fixed these fluffy marshmallows only for special occasions. Since she had no electric mixer, beating the ingredients by hand for 30 minutes was a labor of love. Now, Dale makes them. They're delicious!
- Confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups cold water, divided
- 4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 4 cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Toasted sweetened shredded coconut and ground pecans, optional
- 1. Generously dust a 13x9-in. pan with confectioners' sugar. In a large bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 3/4 cup cold water.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, salt and remaining water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook, covered, 3 minutes. Uncover; cook, without stirring, over medium-high heat until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage). Slowly add to gelatin mixture, beating on low speed until incorporated. Add vanilla; beat on medium until thick and doubled in volume, about 10 minutes.
- 3. Spread into prepared pan. Let stand, covered, at room temperature 6 hours or overnight.
- 4. Using a knife coated with cooking spray, cut into 1-in. squares. Roll in coconut, pecans or additional confectioners' sugar. Store in airtight containers in a cool dry place. Yield: about 8 dozen.
1 marshmallow: 34 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Reviews for Homemade Vanilla Marshmallows
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC