My husband Dale's grandmother fixed these fluffy marshmallows only for special occasions. Since she had no electric mixer, beating the ingredients by hand for 30 minutes was a labor of love. Now, Dale makes them. They're delicious!
Recommended: Homemade Halloween Candy Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- Confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups cold water, divided
- 4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 4 cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Toasted sweetened shredded coconut and ground pecans, optional
- Generously dust a 13x9-in. pan with confectioners' sugar. In a large bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 3/4 cup cold water.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, salt and remaining water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook, covered, 3 minutes. Uncover; cook, without stirring, over medium-high heat until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage). Slowly add to gelatin mixture, beating on low speed until incorporated. Add vanilla; beat on medium until thick and doubled in volume, about 10 minutes.
- Spread into prepared pan. Let stand, covered, at room temperature 6 hours or overnight.
- Using a knife coated with cooking spray, cut into 1-in. squares. Roll in coconut, pecans or additional confectioners' sugar. Store in airtight containers in a cool, dry place. Yield: about 8 dozen.
Originally published as Homemade Marshmallows in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1997, p38